Because I want to create music myself for the next game. I start using LMMS. Unfortunately, during the work I came across a very annoying problem. Sometimes the application user interface freezes and only app restarting helps.
The problem occurs in recent stable versions (1.2.0 and 1.2.1) and in the master branch. Fortunately, there is a simple way to work around it.
At the beginning I used the ALSA interface directly. To test whether the error depends on the audio interface used, I installed the JACK server. Unfortunately, this did not affect.
WINE, VST plugins?
After a few days I noticed that the application becomes unstable only after using a VST plugin. The first suspicion goes to the WINE subsystem, which is used to run Windows related plugins. So I updated WINE to the brand-new version 5.0.0, unfortunately it did not help.
Next I started to change plugin related settings. Turning off synchronization had no effect. Only turning off the embedding of VST plugins allowed to get rid of the problem.
To resolve the problem, go to Settings (Edit-> Settings…).
Then depending on the LMMS version:
- LMMS 1.2.1 – in the Plugin Embedding section select No embedding.
- LMMS master branch – select the Performance tab and select No embedding in the Plugins section.